“Can you believe this? I just lost my job! I got notice today and have no idea what to do!” I stood in disbelief as my friend shared the news. He was one of the top people in the country for his specific kind of job. I wondered why his company would let him go.
There are many situations where we get caught off guard with everyday occurrences. Many people face bad news about their jobs or may get bad news from the bank. Some even get bad news about their health. We all will face some storms in our lives. It’s just a matter of time before they hit us. Do you know how to deal with them? Will you know what to do when those days come? Sadly, most of us are unprepared.
Many of the storms we will face are seen off in the horizon. We see them coming, we hear the thunder and see the lightening far away. Even with all the warnings, some will do nothing but watch the storm come their way. Then when the storm hits, their life falls apart. They don’t plan or have an escape route.
Do you know how to plan for life’s storms that come your way? Have you planned your next steps? These questions are very important and can help you plan what you need to do. For example, if your doctor tells you that you need to exercise and lose weight for a longer and healthier life, then it’s important to put your plan into action by exercising and incorporating healthy eating habits. Another example is the warning that your marriage is in trouble. If you’re lucky enough to have your spouse tell you that they are unhappy in the marriage, then it’s important to sit down and talk with them on what changes are needed. Very few of us ever get this kind of warning. Usually, the first sign of trouble is when divorce papers are served. The storms of life can hit you anytime and anywhere. We need to be watching at all times.
Looking back at your worst storms of life, how do you think you handled them? Could you have done better? Do you see how important planning is and how it can keep you out of trouble? I have clients who have a difficult time figuring out when the storm is going to hit. They don’t plan and fail to look at the future may hold then wonder what happened to them. Strategic planning is essential in staying safe in today’s world.
Many people get caught off guard with unexpected expenses that become emergencies. For instance, unexpected car repairs. This is one expense that causes hardship for so many. I tell people put $20 away each week and save for the repairs you may need. Preparing for an expense that you know is going to come will alleviate some the daily stress you face. It’s important we are disciplined and only use the money for life’s emergencies.
Following are a few helpful tips to help you prepare for the storms you may face down the road:
• Be aware of what’s going on around you. For instance, if you hear rumors about company layoffs, start looking for work immediately.
• Start setting aside money to have available for when you need emergency money. I tell folks to put away $20 dollars a week and designate it for car repairs, medical bills, rent or house payment. And, always replace what you borrow out of that fund.
• If you have health issues, see your doctor. If you let a small thing go, it becomes a major medical problem. Remember, it’s never too late to seek treatment. Don’t delay.
• If your spouse tells you they are unhappy or you are unhappy in your marriage, sit down and talk, work things out. It’s always best to take care of it before it becomes a huge issue.
• If there are people in your life who take advantage of you, tell them. Better to take care of a relationship problem then get resentful about it.
• If you need to work on your own personal life, then start making amends with family or friends. If you are struggling with unresolved issues, then get counseling. Don’t let things fester.
These are just a few examples of impending storms that we plan and prepare for. It will take time and effort, but when you see the storm clouds rising, don’t wait for it to come to you, go towards it. Head it off at the pass!
Do you need help in dealing with the storms in your life? Do you need someone to talk to who can help you sort out the real issues in your life? Are you ready to start planning for the storms in your life? If you answered yes to any of these questions call Dr. Mike Brooks he can help you!